Bois-Seigneur-Isaac Abbey - St Charbel's Monastery
Rue Armand Demoor 2
1421 OPHAIN-BOIS-SEIGNEUR-ISAAC (BRAINE-L'ALLEUD)
- MAPS: Google Maps
In the 11th century, Lord Isaac left on a crusade and was imprisoned by the Saracens, but was miraculously freed after a vision from the Virgin Mary.
On his return home, he built a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Grace and Consolation.
On 5 June 1405, the parish priest of Ittre found a fragment of the consecrated host in the corporal which began to bleed when he held it.
In 1410, the bishop of Cambrai recognised the miracle and allowed the chapel to become a place of pilgrimage. A priory was built and rapidly became an independent abbey (1416).
In January 2010, the abbey became a monastery of the Lebanese Maronite Order. The abbey is still a sanctuary for the Holy Blood and the relics of Saint Charbel Makhlouf were also taken there.
- A magnificent monstrance enclosing the Holy Blood of Christ,
- The relic of the True Cross given by the canons of Floreffe,
- A thorn from Christ's Crown,
- A reliquary from Saint Charbel and a cedar-shaped reliquary from Lebanon.
Tourist information on the town BRAINE-L'ALLEUD
Visit our partners' webpages
- Magritte Museum
- Museums of the Far East - Royal Museums for Art and History, Brussels
- Museum of Letters and Manuscripts in Brussels
- See and Tell in Brussels, guided city tours
- Belgian Comic Strip Centre - BCSC