ANCIENT CASTLE OF THE COUNTS OF HAINAULT - "SQUARE DU CHATEAU"
Square du Château
- MAPS: Google Maps
Restored in the 19th century, this Mons park contains the remains of the castle of the Counts of Hainaut (11th-14th centuries), including the remarkable St Calixte Chapel (11th-12th century) which now houses a museum dedicated to the site, the Caesar Tower, the underground cellars (12th-13th century) and a bust of the writer Charles Plisnier (Prix Goncourt winner, 1937). The square also offers an unrivalled viewpoint over surrounding countryside, with views to the French border.
Guided visit on written request at the Tourist Office, Grand-Place 22, 7000 Mons. Tel.: +32 (0)65/33 55 80 - Fax: +32 (0)65/35 63 36.
Admission free for the park.
Parking for cars and coaches nearby.
Access : E19-A7 (Brussels-Mons) motorway, Mons exit.
For more information, click HERE - © All rights reserved HCD asbl - DIN Consult sprl - 2003
Tourist information on the town MONS
Visit our partners' webpages
- The Beloeil Castle and its Park - The Belgian Versailles
- Strepy-Thieu boat lift
- Archeosite® and Museum in Aubechies
- The Mundaneum - The Wallonia-Brussels Federation's Archive Centre
- B.P.S. 22 SPACE FOR CONTEMPORARY CREATION