Castle of Celles-Vêves
5561 CELLES(HOUYET) (HOUYET)
- MAPS: Google Maps
This castle began life as the property of Pépin de Herstal in the 8th century, then changed hands a number of times.
After Pépin de Herstal, it became the fortress of the Sires de Beaufort, who rebuilt it in 1410, then the residence of their heirs, the Counts of Liederkerke Beaufort, Vêves.
After a series of battles and troubles, it can now be admired in all its harmony and the technical mastery of its military architecture.
Perched on a rocky outcrop, it is composed of five magnificent towers and a remarkable half-timbered gallery from the 16th century.
Inside the castle's apartments, visitors find themselves surrounded by the charm of a very refined atmosphere: 18th-century furniture, rare pieces of porcelain, historical souvenirs and paintings.
Still inhabited by the same family, Vêves is an extraordinary sentinel of memory and time.
Last visit at 5pm.
The castle may sometimes be closed on Saturday afternoons due to receptions.
Groups: open year-round by reservation except Wednesdays.
Guided tours in French, Dutch, English German, Spanish and Polish.
Duration of the visit: individual 45 minutes. Guided tour: 1h15.
Please make a booking for guided tours (€50).
Animals only allowed if they can be carried.
Tourist information on the town HOUYET