THE "GROSSE BORNE"
Commission patrimoine, tourisme et environnement -
- MAPS: Google Maps
The "Grosse Borne" (Great Boundary Stone) stands exactly on the point where three borders meet: the two villages of Thorembais and the one of Perwez. Although some people consider it a megalith, it seems more likely that it is a seigniorial boundary stone. The inscription "Je faict le chesne Guillaume", which can still just be made out, is thought to refer to Guillaume de Louvain, lord of Perwez, and to an oak tree that used to mark the spot before the stone was put there. We do not know whether the oak was planted to mark the boundary or whether it was used for hangings, but legend would have it that beautiful witches used to gather there in the dead of night to hold their witches' sabbaths.
- tel. : +32 (0) 81 65 61 04
- fax : +32 (0) 81 65 84 33
Tourist information on the town PERWEZ
Visit our partners' webpages
- Lion's Mound, Waterloo Battlefield
- Traditional Belgian Chocolatiers - Planète Chocolat
- Zaabär Chocolates & Spices
- BOZAR - Centre for Fine Arts in Brussels
- Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences in Brussels