"SINGE DU GRAND GARDE"
Hôtel de Ville
- MAPS: Google Maps
"What a woman "wants", the Monkey knows how to do"
It is indeed said that when a young girl wants to get married, she has to stroke its head and her wish will come true within the year. It is also said that when newlyweds stroke its head, they'll have a baby within the year.
The monkey already existed in 1843 and certainly before that. We can safely consider that it already must have been at the Town Hall at the end of the XVIIth century!
Is it there since the construction of the Town Hall in de XVth century? Maybe! Was it placed at the façade during some restoration of the building? Maybe! Or is its origin connected to the opening of the tavern situated in the cellar? Maybe!
- tel. : +32 (0) 65 33 55 80
- fax : +32 (0) 65 35 63 36
- website : http://www.mons.be
Tourist information on the town MONS
Visit our partners' webpages
- Plugstreet 14-18 Experience First World War Interpretation Centre
- Ronquières Inclined Plane
- Pairi Daiza - the best zoo in Belgium 2014
- The Bois du Cazier Glass Museum
- The Historic Canal du Centre and its Hydraulic Lifts