Mons Belfry and its museum, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Parc du Château
- MAPS: Google Maps
- Opening Dates
- All year round
- Tuesday-Sunday : 10:00-18:00
- All year round
A listed UNESCO World Heritage site, this 87 metre tall building is the only baroque-style belfry in Belgium.
This proud symbol of Mons' identity, affectionately known as "el catiau", stands next to the Château Comtal park, only 200m from the Gran' Place. It was erected in the 17th century after the bell tower collapsed in 1661.
This 87-metre-high tower is the only Baroque belfry in Belgium and has a classic decor. The walls are made of Bray sandstone, while the embellishments, including the pillars and supporting pilasters, are of blue stone.
The belfry's museum
As part of Mons 2015, European Capital of Culture, a new museum will be opened in the belfry. Dedicated to its history and close links to the city, it will offer a themed visit that will incorporate new technologies.
What's more, a glass lift will take you to the top of the belfry, which is the perfect place for a panoramic visit of Mons and its monuments.
The museum also offers you visits and cultural activities.
Open from early summer 2015
From Tuesday to Sunday, from 10am to 6pm.
- website : http://www.visitmons.be/order#!/537140/fr
Tourist information on the town MONS
Visit our partners' webpages
- The Spin Cablepark: Waterskiing at the Eau d'Heure Lakes
- The Beloeil Castle and its Park - The Belgian Versailles
- The Our Lady with the Rose Hospital in Lessines
- Natura Parc - Accrobranche park in Belgium at the Lacs de l'Eau d'Heure
- Guided Tours of the Tourist Office of the Charleroi Region