CASTLE OF AVONDANCE
7100 HAINE-SAINT-PAUL (LA LOUVIERE)
- MAPS: Google Maps
In the 15th century, the fief belonged to Catherine de Barbençon, widow of Gille de Mortagne. In 1835, Narcisse Coppée bought the château and had it restored. Coppée owned a small factory near the château on the banks of the Rieu de Baume. His son, Evence, was an engineer devoted to the study of the carbonisation of coal. In 1851, he founded the Maison Evence Coppée that started off as a small carbonisation plant. The L-shaped main building rises two storeys high on a stone base. The rear elevation has five openings in the same style. However, the most distinctive feature is the adjoining chapel dedicated to St Paul. A large square tower, dating back to the late 19th century, is adjoined to the main building at right angles.
The castle cannot be visited.
- website : http://chateau-davondance.over-blog.com/
Tourist information on the town LA LOUVIERE
Visit our partners' webpages
- The Bois du Cazier Glass Museum
- Vicinal Historic Tramway Discovery Centre in Lobbes-Thuin
- The Bois du Cazier Industry Museum
- Guided Tours of the Tourist Office of the Charleroi Region
- The Mahymobiles Automobile Museum in Leuze-en-Hainaut