- MAPS: Google Maps
There has been a castle at Enghien since the early 13th century, but the site has had a turbulent past. In the early 13th century, the castle was built where the entry to the park can currently be found. When the estate passed to the d'Arenbergs, it was restored and embellished until the city's invasion by the "sans culottes" (revolutionaries). It was then plundered and all its riches were stolen. When the d'Arenberg family got it back, it was in such a state of ruin, that Duke Louis-Engelbert had it razed to the ground in 1806 and rebuilt it. It caught fire on the day of its opening ceremony. The current Louis XVI style castle is located in a magnificent 182 ha estate, on the site of the former Orangery, on request of Baron Empain. The two wings were added in 1926. The plans were drawn by architect Alexandre Marcel.
Visits: park only. Activities: Location for receptions - Walks - Nature.
Tourist information on the town ENGHIEN
Visit our partners' webpages
- Château de Louvignies - Louvignies Castle
- The Eau d'Heures Lakes, the Largest Lakes in Belgium
- Mundaneum - The Wallonia-Brussels Federation Archive Centre
- The Mahymobiles Automobile Museum in Leuze-en-Hainaut
- The Our Lady with the Rose Hospital in Lessines