Colline du Mardasson
- MAPS: Google Maps
The "Mardasson" memorial was inaugurated on 16 July 1950, and celebrates the lasting friendship between the American and Belgian people who were united by the Battle of the Ardennes in December 1944 and January 1945. The monument takes the form of a star with five points, each 31m long. Engraved in gold lettering, the story of the Battle can be read on the walls of the open gallery. A walkway situated at the summit, is accessible via a spiral staircase and offers the visitor a panoramic view of the defensive positions held during the siege of the town. There is also a superb ornate mosaic by the French artist Fernand Léger, which is completely dug into the rock. The crypt shelters three altars that celebrate the Catholic, Protestant and Jewish religions.
Information: Maison du Tourisme du Pays de Bastogne, Place McAuliffe, 6600 Bastogne - tel: 061/21 17 11 - fax: 061/21 2725.
No guided tours.
Access: Motorway: follow the E25, until exit 53 or 54, then the N4, N34 or N15 / Train: go to Libramont station, then take a bus to Libramont/Bastogne or Liège/Athus.
Tourist information on the town BASTOGNE
Visit our partners' webpages
- Aisne Tourist Tram
- Houtopia - Recreational Centre Promoting Children's Rights
- Durbuy Adventure - Kayaking on the River Ourthe
- Orval Abbey
- Bastogne War Museum, Second World War Memorial Centre