Rue des Laidmonts 9
5537 ANHEE (MAREDRET)
- MAPS: Google Maps
The foundation of the abbey of Saint John and Saint Scholastica fell within the 19th-century monastic revival.
The abbey's foundation stone was laid on 5 August 1891 on land given by the Desclée family.
This important Neo-Gothic site, made of dimension stone and rubble stone under a slate roof, is located on one of the hills overhanging the village of Maredret and the Molignée valley.
The church was built by the Ghent architect A. van Assche. The furniture and stained-glass windows are truly remarkable.
The monastic buildings were built by the architects Enseval, Pequet, Soreil and Durieu.
Maredret Abbey is not open to the public but the Benedictine nuns allow visitors to spend a few days of meditation or prayer, or even have a stay on their own or in a group.
Tourist information on the town ANHEE
Visit our partners' webpages
- Dinant Evasion: Kayaking Down the River Lesse
- 'La Merveilleuse" Grotto in Dinant
- The Caves of Han - PrehistoHan
- Spitfire Museum - Colonel R. Lallemant D.F.C. in Florennes
- The Maredsous Abbey and St Joseph Visitors' Centre