MILITARY MARCH FOR SAINT-ROCH
On Saturday evening, the whole town resounds with the echo of drumbeats while the townsfolk gather (from 20h30) on the uptown ramparts where they will stay awake throughout the night. A pyre is lit in the Place du Chapitre while the mayor, the parish priest, and the authorities light a torch that will set fire to the "campes", (large crackers arranged in a rosary). After the campes have been fired torches are distributed among the crowd and the famous torchlight procession sets off. The following day at 13h00, the various cortège societies regroup for their traditional procession at the place known as "Chant des Oiseaux", (Song of the Birds).
Saturday: gathering from 8.30 pm. and firing of the campes on the northern ramparts at 9 pm., followed by the torchlight procession.
Sunday: gathering of the companies from 1 p.m. at the "Chant des Oiseaux".
This march was proclaimed "masterpiece of the oral and immaterial heritage of the French-speaking communities".
Tourist information on the town THUIN
Visit our partners' webpages
- Old Bill Exhibition - Interpretation Centre Plugstreet 14-18 Experience
- A lady of the manor in the trenches at Louvignies castle
- Materi'oh! - An exhibition for children aged 6 to 12!
- The Hainaut's Waterways Celebrate Halloween - Cruises
- Flower Carpet in the Seneffe Castle Estate