Blanc Moussis Carnival - Laetare in Stavelot
The Blanc Moussis (clad in white) are the icons of this traditional Carnival. Discover these characters in Stavelot in March 2015!
The costume has a very humble origin, it is made up of a simple bed sheet and a pillow case. Topped off with a pointed carrot-nosed mask, this costume has taken on a very different meaning in Stavelot.
It is also a parody of the fifteenth century monks who were forbidden from celebrating the carnival after a period of excessive freedom and laziness.
Starting on Sunday, the Blancs Moussis wander through the town, putting up their irreverent posters. In the afternoon they leap from the parade on their floats and shower the crowds with confetti while flogging them with pork bladders.
Discover this emblematic and traditional carnival!
Tourist information on the town STAVELOT
Visit our partners' webpages
- Liège in turmoil - Exhibition at the Museum of Walloon Life
- Christmas in a Museum! Magical moments for families in Liège
- International contemporary engraving biennial & festival
- World Touring Car Championship in Spa-Francorchamps
- Prussian Wallonia under the orders of the Kaiser in Malmedy