Saint Eloi's Day - Folkore and tradition in Laneffe
Established in 1635, its aim was to help plague victims and organise appropriate funerals for these poor people. In Laneffe, 22 - 24/06/13! At this time, terrible plague epidemics ravaged these regions. Brothers organised processions to protect their village from plague. This is the origin of our march which takes place on the Sunday nearest to 25 June, which is the date when Saint-Eloi's relics were transferred to Noyon cathedral. The houses in the village will be decorated with a new banner in the Laneffe colours and with an effigy of Saint Eloi.
2014 presents an important edition because it coincides with:
- The 150th anniversary of the Saint Eloi Chapel
- The recognition of the work of St. Eloi to the intangible heritage of humanity by UNESCO
- the unveiling of a headstone dedicated to deceased walkers.
Free of charge.
- tel. : +32 (0) 71 65 57 95
- email : email@example.com
Tourist information on the town WALCOURT
Visit our partners' webpages
- Food-lovers' walk in the Han-sur-Lesse Wildlife Reserve
- Namur Legend, classic motorcycles at the Namur Citadel
- Christmas Market at the Saint-Gérard de Brogne Abbey