PARADE OF JEAN-JEAN DU BALLON
Following the emergency landing of a hot-air balloon in their little village around 1850, the inhabitants decided to commemorate this auspicious event in the history of the Land of Hills with an annual "ducasse". As a festival of beer, ham and maton tart, this occasion also allows for an international fanfare of brass bands, wind sectons, floats, giants, (one of which is the famous Jean-Jean representing none other than the mayor at those times), and a multitude of groups forming a long multi-coloured procession which sets off from the village of Guinaumont at around 3 pm to the centre of Ellezelles. It is there that after the final rondeau, the traditional ascension of Jean-Jean du Ballon will take place, who will be lifted over a fire of straw in the balloon's wicker basket.
2.30 pm., departure of the giants and the parade towards the centre where it wanders around for 3 hours. The final rondeau takes place from 5 to 6 pm., followed by the ascension of Jean-Jean du Ballon at 7 pm.
This event always takes place on Whitsun Monday.
- tel. : +32 (0) 68 54 42 10
Tourist information on the town ELLEZELLES
Visit our partners' webpages
- Les Musicales de Beloeil - Beloeil Music Experience
- Materi'oh! - An exhibition for children aged 6 to 12!
- Flower Carpet in the Seneffe Castle Estate
- Weekend of Experimental Archaeology in Aubechies
- Old Bill Exhibition - Interpretation Centre Plugstreet 14-18 Experience