Folklore And Tradition : Festivities And Folkloric Traditions
Marmousets Festival in Comines-Warneton
The little town of Comines was recently named "World capital of the utilitarian ribbon" and this festival celebrates the tradition of ribbon making.
For more than two centuries this craft has secured the district's prosperity and success. After the traditional parade in the afternoon there is a range of different events and demonstrations in the heart of the town, including textile demonstrations, sheep shearing, popular games, concerts, and other activities.
One of the most entertaining moments of the day is when the Marmousets (puppets symbolising the ribbon apprentices) are thrown from the balcony of the Town Hall. Please note that a parade takes place in odd years, whereas a country is honoured in even years.
This festival will again take place on the 3rd Sunday in July!
- tel. : +32 (0) 56 56 04 56
- website : http://www.villedecomines-warneton.be
Tourist information on the town COMINES-WARNETON
Visit our partners' webpages
- Old Bill Exhibition - Interpretation Centre Plugstreet 14-18 Experience
- Materi'oh! - An exhibition for children aged 6 to 12!
- Flower Carpet in the Seneffe Castle Estate
- Beloeil Christmas market 2014
- The Hainaut's Waterways Celebrate Halloween - Cruises
We are not responsible for any changes in dates and/or programmes. Please contact the organiser prior to departure.