Before taking a trip to Wallonia or Brussels, it is essential to find out about bureau de change locations, public holidays and other features specific to the country.
Bureau de change and currency
The currency used in Belgium is the euro.
(international exchange rate 02/2014)
- 1 US Dollar = 0.7372 €
- 1 GB Pound Sterling = 1.2047 €
- 1 SEK = 0.1138 €
- 1 DKK = 0.1340 €
- 1 JPY (100) = 0.0072 €
1 CHF = 0.8181 €
Common opening times
Post offices are usually open from 8:30am to 5pm.
Banks are usually open Monday - Friday from 9am to 4pm.
Shops are usually open from 9am to 6pm except on Sundays. Some shops close from midday to 2pm.
Official public holidays
- January 1st (New Year's Day)
- Easter Monday (24/03)
- 1 May (Labour Day)
- Ascension Day (6th Thursday after Easter)
- Whitmonday (7th Monday after Easter)
- 21 July (Belgian National Day)
- 15 August (Assumption Day)
- 1 November (All Saints Day)
- 11 November (Armistice Day)
- 25 December (Christmas Day)